What’s better than a brownie? A brownie with benefits. This decadent batch is packed with superfoods almond and cacao, so you can feel good about those late night cravings.
These brownies are insanely good. Rich, fudgy, lightly spiced and full of flavor. If you want a dish that will trick all of your vegan wary friends, this is the one. With only 8 whole food ingredients, I might go as far to say that it’s a healthy dessert. Yes, I’m saying it.
This recipe is adapted from my favorite grain free bakery, Sweet Laurel. I’ve replaced the eggs with the aquafaba. I talked a little bit about aquafaba in this Crispy Blueberry Waffles post, but tldr: when you whip the liquid from a can of chickpeas it peaks, binds and bakes just like regular egg whites. It’s the best vegan egg replacer.
I love Mexican chocolate, so I’ve added a touch of cinnamon and cardamom here. My biggest caveat for this recipe? Don’t leave them unattended, they will disappear!
Brownie with Benefits
- 2 cups almond butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips Good Life
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (liquid from can of chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain a can of chickpeas for the aquafaba liquid. With a high-speed mixer (a whisk won’t do it), blend for about 5 minutes until peaks form. It should look just like egg whites!
- Whisk together cinnamon, cacao, cardamom and salt.
- Using a high speed mixer, blend the almond butter and maple syrup.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients. Once a batter forms, fold in your chocolate chips (saving some for the top) and aquafaba until just incorporated.
- Pour your batter into a 8X8 inch baking dish lined with parchment paper. This makes for easy removal and clean up. Sprinkle your remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the edges are crispy and a toothpick comes out clean. These are VERY fudgey brownies, so you can’t really overcook them. Pair with a glass of oat milk – you’ll need it!