This soup comes to you by way of my non-vegan, non-GF Dad. I made this for a family dinner, and he was so impressed that he requested it a second night in a row. So those of you with plant averse friends, family, or kids – this is for you!
Sweet potatoes are a darling of the health food world, but for good reason. They provide a pharmacy’s worth of vitamins – A, C, B6, B2. You name it.
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- 6 heaping cups chopped sweet potato (about 3 large potatoes)
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 box vegetable broth (4 cups – I like Imagine brand)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (if you don’t have, you can sub a complementary acid like lime)
- 2 tbsp hot curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt to taste
- Place a soup pot on medium heat with olive oil. Once warm, add your ginger, garlic, and onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the curry, sweet potatoes and cinnamon, tossing to coat. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
- Add your vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring it to a boil. Continue to simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a high powered blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Return back to the pot and add the coconut aminos and salt to taste.
- Serve with a splash of lime, fresh cilantro, plant yogurt or seeds. Enjoy!